C is a powerful structure base general purpose script oriented programing language which is efficient to control both hardware and software.
C programing language is use for creating system and application software, it is widely used because of its efficiency and control.
Due to efficiency and control of C many languages were developed in C like C++, Java and python. C is efficient and gives the programmer a great deal of control due to it Unix and Linux operating systems are developed using C.
Origin of C Language
C language has evolved from three different structured language ALGOL, BCPL and B Language. It uses many concepts from these languages and introduced many new concepts such as data types, structure, Pointer, Array etc. In 1988, the language was formalised by American National Standard Institute (ANSI).
In 1990, a version of C language was approved by the International Standard Organization (ISO) and that version of C is also referred to as C89.
It was developed to overcome the problems of previous languages such as B, BCPL etc.
About Dennis Ritchie
Dennis MacAlistair Ritchie was born September 9, 1941 in Bronxville, New York. Ritchie received a BS degree in Physics in 1963 and a PhD in Applied Mathematics in 1967 from Harvard University. While a graduate student, Ritchie had a part-time job at MIT Project MAC’s Multicast (Multiplexed Information and Computing Service) time-sharing project.
Features of C Language
Low Level Compatibility
C language provides low level compatibility with hardware that is mostly provided by the Lower level languages. C is relatively similar to Assembly Language
Assembly language codes can be write in C Programming Language.
- C Programs are portable that means they can be run on any C Compiler with Little or no Modification
- C program can be run on different computer because of its compiler and preprocessor directive.
- C Language provides verity of Data Types
- Large inbuilt library Functions
- Efficient Control & Loop Control Statements
- C Programs can perform manipulation using bits. We can perform different operations at bit level manage memory representation at bit level
- C provides wide verity of bit manipulation Operators have bitwise operators to manage Data at bit level
High Level Features
- It is more User friendly as compare to Previous languages such as BCPL,Pascal .It has great features to manage data as compare to previous languages
- C Programming adopted all useful features of previous languages thus C become more effective language
- Modular programming is a software design technique by which software is managed in separate parts known as modules
- C Program Integrated Modules together to form a complete program
Use of Pointers
- By Pointers C programs access direct memory which make it more efficient
- Pointer makes C powerful by which we developed system software