What is AZ-900 Exam: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals?
Azure is Microsoft’s fastest-growing large cloud platform. This exam is about basic concepts of Azure cloud and hence a good start for those who are new in the Azure world.
What is Az-900 Exam?
Azure is Microsoft’s fastest-growing large cloud platform. This exam is about basic concepts of Azure cloud and hence a good start for those who are new in the Azure world. AZ-900 is not an easy exam to pass even though it is a fundamental exam. This exam tests your foundational level information of cloud concepts and Azure administrations. People from technical and non-technical can prepare for this exam and can validate their Azure Cloud services skills and makes you competent enough for the next Azure role-based certifications.
For those who already have experience in Azure services, this is a great opportunity to prove your knowledge about core concepts of Azure including various services, pricing, security, administration, and support. Azure services have capabilities like Compute, Storage, Networking, App services, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IOT), Integration, Security. Please refer available Azure service in the figure below.
You can appear for Microsoft certification for products like Azure, Dynamics 365, Microsoft 365, Office, Power Platform, SQL Server, and Windows. Azure offers various services for all kinds of organizational IT needs related to compute, storage, databases, network, cognitive services and many more. You can get more information about Azure fundamental certifications, Role-based Microsoft Azure certification by visiting
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/. Fundamental certifications are suggested as a perfect beginning in innovation for people who want to excel in their careers.
Az-900: Syllabus and Format
The syllabus for the AZ-900 exam mainly focuses on foundational concepts of cloud-based services with respect to Azure. It includes core azure services like compute, storage, and networking. This also covers security and privacy services, azure support model, and pricing.
There are generally 40-60 questions and many of them are in multiple-choice answer format. The duration to attain this exam is 1 hour.
The passing score for this exam is 70% and the percentage-wise break up of skills measured by the module is as below:
Describe cloud concepts (15-20%)
- Understanding differences between Public, private, and hybrid cloud models. A hybrid cloud may be a sort of cloud computing that combines on-premises infrastructure or a private cloud with a public cloud and permit data and apps to move between the two.
- Cloud provides services in different categories – Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and Serverless and not just the Virtual machines. Please refer to these concepts in the figure below.
- Understanding the benefits of using Azure and terms around agility, availability, scalability, fault tolerance, disaster recovery and Capital Expenditure (CapEx) vs Operational expenditure (OpEx)
Describe core Azure services (30-35%)
- In this section, you need to prepare basic building blocks of Azure core architectural concepts like regions, resource groups, availability zones etc. Azure services are offered in regions throughout the world. The azure region is consisting of one or more data centers, also referred to as availability zones. Azure is available in 60+ regions globally. New regions and data centers get added every year. Each Azure region is consisting of one or more data centers, also referred as availability zones.
- Azure has computed services like App services, Virtual machines, containers, Kubernetes, etc.
- Azure Storage services have blob, queue, and table storage, Disk storage, file storage and Database (SQL/NoSQL) storage like Azure SQL server, MySQL database, Cosmos DB, PostgreSQL, and Azure DB migration services.
- Virtual networks, application gateway and load balancer, firewalls are part of Azure networking services. Some of the question will be included in exam around on-premises network to Azure virtual network integration, Virtual networks, Subnets, Traffic filtering etc.
- Azure service like function app, logic apps and event grid fall into Serverless computing and also supports other solutions such as internet of things (IoT), Artificial intelligence, Dev test labs, Big data, and analytics etc.
- Azure provides various resource management tools like PowerShell, cloud shell, azure cli and azure advisor.
Describe security, privacy, compliance, and trust (25-30%)
- Network security groups (NSG), firewalls, key vaults, Azure security center are considered as security building blocks in Azure and helps to arrange network traffic to and from Azure resources.
- Access management for all Azure resources can be managed by using Role-based access control (RBAC), Azure active directory, multi factor authentication (MFA).
- Azure monitor and service health makes a difference when it comes to execution and accessibility of your applications and proactively distinguish issues in seconds.
- You need to understand the services like Trust center, compliance manager and terms like ISO, GDPR, Identity Protection policies, Azure data security etc. to achieve compliance goal of your organization.
- Azure has a service known as Azure Government which is physically separated instance of Azure to meet the compliance and security standards for US government workloads. Similarly, Azure has launched ‘Azure Germany’ in 2018 to meet German data privacy regulations and rules.
Describe Azure pricing Service Level Agreements, and Lifecycles (20-25%)
- In this section, most of the question will be asked around Azure cost management, zone wise billing concept, and Azure cost management. You may visit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/cost-management-billing/cost-management-billing-overviewdocumentation to understand the important billing concepts like subscriptions, billing account. You can track and analyze the organizational costs on various azure services with the help of Azure Cost Analysis.
- Azure Provides a Pay as you go as well as reserved instances pricing model with different pricing units for each service.
- You also need to read about services available in free Azure account, various offerings to purchase azure products and services, service level agreements (SLA).
- You need to understand the Lifecycle of features, preview features, monitor features is also important sections to focus.
- Azure has wider range of support plans like Basic, Developer, Standard, Professional Direct. You can choose any plan supports plans as per your need. You may get more information about it by visiting
How to prepare for this exam?
You can prepare for this exam from learning resources like Microsoft learn, Azure Documentation, Instructor-led Training, Forum, etc.
As already mentioned in the beginning this exam is great to start for beginners in cloud solutions, there are no prerequisites for this exam and no prior technical experience is required.
To study for this exam, you can follow below simple path:
- Understand basics of cloud computing.
- Take overview of core azure services compute, storage, and networking.
- Practice below 3 hands on labs:
- Create virtual machines, virtual private networks, and its peering, try to integrate load balancers and application gateways.
- Create app services, check available app service plans and its pricing.
- Play around storage options available blobs, queues, cosmos DB etc.
- Take overview of security and pricing model concepts.
- For remaining topics, you can refer short courses or glance at Microsoft docs just before the exam.
Tips and tricks
- You can implement a few POCs for basic features of Azure services and practical knowledge of those Azure services will help you to understand questions faster.
- Take look at all answer choices available before making final choice.
AZ 900 Exam Pricing and scheduling Information
The exam charge is subject to change with the country from where you're taking this exam. Let’s say in case you're living within the India then exam fee is ~3700 INR. You can easily schedule this exam by visiting
Read More :