.NET 5 is the latest release after .NET Core 3.0. Get .NET Microservices Training to explore its diverse platforms and features. You can use it to aim for various platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS ,WebAssembly, Android, tvOS and watchOS etc. There is new .NET APIs, runtime capabilities and language features of .NET 5.
Introduction To .NET 5
.NET 5 is the latest release after .NET Core 3.0. You can use it to aim for various platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS ,WebAssembly, Android, tvOS and watchOS etc. There is new .NET APIs, runtime capabilities and language features of .NET 5. .NET 5 can support for building best and high quality performance cloud applications, quicker and smarter algorithms in the BCL, better backup for containers of the runtime and keep support about the HTTP3.
A Brief To .NET 5
There are two versions of .Net. Those are
- .Net Framework
- .Net Core
.Net 5 is Open-source and Cross-platform. .Net 5 Framework is a single unified platform for .Net Framework, .Net Core and Xamarin.
.NET 5 builds with .NET Core and the best of Mono to build a single unique platform that you will use for all your .NET code. To gather more knowledge you need to do Dot Net Microservices Certification. .NET 5 will be built with future updates to Visual Studio 2019, Visual Studio for Mac and Visual Studio Code. As shown in the image, .Net 5 will be available with the .Net Framework, .Net Core, Windows, Mobile & IoT devices, Mono, and Xamarin to provide APIs, libraries, and run-time to create apps for Web.
Goals Of .NET 5
The main goal of .Net 5 is to accredit .Net Client Application projects to build for many platforms that is Windows, UNIX, Linux, Legacy Windows, iOS, Driod, HTML5, and Macintosh.
- It provides a single .NET runtime and framework that can be used everywhere and that has equal runtime behaviors.
- It expands the capabilities of .NET by taking the quality of .NET Core, .NET Framework, Xamarin and Mono.
- It builds that product out of a single code-base that developers can work on and expand together and that improves all scenarios.
.NET 5 is the next To NET Core
.Net 5 will provide all these things that you would expect from the .Net core while making it suitable for IoT and Mobile platform development..NET 5 provides below functionalities:
- Cross-platform implementation with any device
- Supports platform features like .Net core, Xamarin, .Net Framework
- Open Source & Community-Oriented
- Fast, Scalable, and high performance
- It supports with next releases to Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio 2019, Command Line Interface and Visual Studio for Mac.
- Support for platform-specific features like Windows Forms, & WPF on Windows
- Side-by-side installation
- Smarter Deployment & packages
- Small Project Files
- There will be big selection on runtime experiences.
- Availability of Java interoperability across all platforms.
- Support of Objective-C and Swift interoperability across multiple operating systems.
- CoreFX will be featured to give support static compilation of .NET i.e. ahead-of-time – AOT and support for more operating systems.
.Net 5 has new major supports for developers. Here’s what will be new:
.Net 5 will be accompanied by the .Net versions like .Net 6.0, .Net 7.0 & .Net 8.0.
.Net 4 Skipped
Microsoft skips .Net 4 framework version to avoid mix-up with the .Net Framework versions. This has been using the 4.x series sub versions since a long time. So, for clear communication .NET 5 is the future for the .NET platform.
.NET 5 Extra Vital Features
The .Net 5 has new vital features .Net APIs, desktop development, runtime capabilities, language. These are mentioned below:
Desktop App Development
- .Net 5 comes up with desktop development functionalities and libraries. Xamarin, WPF, Windows Forms and Universal Windows Platform are the four key desktop platforms.
- .Net 5 supports sub-framework for desktop development like Entity Framework, GDI+, LINQ, and ADO.Net.
Mobile App Development
- .Net 5 comes up to build cross-platform mobile apps for Android, iOS, tvOS, macOS, and watchOS platforms using Xamarin.
- Xamarin supports the Mono runtime.
- Xamarin uses XAML for UI programming language and C# as the backend language.
Cloud App Development
- Azure app development is the major functionalities of .Net 5
- Azure Cloud development is a combination of tools and frameworks that includes Web API, ASP.Net, Serverless computing, Azure databases, Docker containers, microservices, DevOps and more.
Supports Mono AOT
- The Mono AOT compiler turns .NET code to be built into a single native code executable.
- It is focused on mobile and gaming consoles.
- Mono AOT is is already used by the Blazor project. It is one of the first projects to transition to .NET 5.
- This is required by Apple for iOS and some game consoles for security reasons.
Game App Development
- .Net 5 and Visual Studio 2019 will support Unity.
- It is used to develop games for mobile, Xbox and other gaming platforms.
- Net 5 provides runtimes that is CoreCLR and Mono.
- CoreCLR is the runtime used as part of .NET Core.
- CoreCLR is the .Net core runtime used for Windows desktop, Cloud applications, IOT, machine learning.
- Mono is the original cross-platform implementation of .NET. Mono is the runtime used as part of Xamarin.
- .Net 5 comes up with AoT i.e. Ahead-of-Time and JIT i.e. Just-in-Time compilation models.
- JIT enhances the performance for server as well as desktop workloads with the development environment.
- AoT includes fast startup, small footprint with lower memory usage.
- There are two exceptions like iOS and client-side Blazor i.e. web assembly since both require ahead-of-time (AOT) native compilation.
- .NET 5 applications will be inbuilt with the .NET CLI and that ensures there is a common command line tooling across the projects.
The .Net 5 will be the top version Microsoft has ever released. Every new development and feature will be part of .NET 5 with new C# versions. There will be bright future for broad range of chip architectures, application types, operating systems by using the same .NET APIs and languages. It will be easy to build your applications using different IDEs like Visual Studio, Visual Studio for Mac, Visual Studio Code, Azure DevOps.